Laser skin resurfacing is a highly effective way of improving skin tone and texture, while also reducing fine lines and wrinkles.
Often used to treat warts, acne scars and a variety of other stubborn skin-based issues, the procedure is also a highly popular way of renewing facial skin and improving elasticity, helping keep any feelings of skin-based anxiety firmly at bay.
Rushed Results = Bad Results
However, after having the procedure performed, many patients are keen to know how long it will be before their skin properly heals and they are able to see the results for themselves – a question that is much easier to ask than it is to answer.
This is because, due to the vigorous nature of the procedure, seeing the results tends to vary on a person-by-person basis, largely coming down to the severity of the issue at hand, the profile of the patient and the strictness of the aftercare routine administered.
Generally speaking though, the aftermath of the treatment will run as follows:
- Days 1 – 2. It is expected that you will experience a burning sensation in the treated area and your face will develop some swelling. This is perfectly normal and should subside after around 24-48 hours.
- Days 2 – 4. Over the next few days, your face will start to feel tight. A yellowish serous fluid could also start to weep from the treated areas and it’s not uncommon for crusts to develop. Again, this is perfectly normal and is a good indicator that fresh skin is being grown underneath.
- Days 4 – 6. Over this period, it’s not unusual for your face to start feeling a little itchy. However, it’s imperative you avoid the temptation to scratch, as this could increase the risk of scarring. For advice on how to prevent itching from becoming an issue, contact our team for specialist guidance.
- Day 10. After approximately ten days, your skin will have largely healed and be free of any crusted areas. It will still remain pink for a little while longer though, but this will settle progressively over the following weeks.
The Importance Of Routine
As I’ve mentioned already, the success of your recovery from CO2 laser resurfacing will largely depend on how well you stick to the post-treatment skincare routine set out for you.
So, to make this slightly easier to understand, there are two key time periods associated with recovery, as we have highlighted for you below:
Days 1 – 10
At the end of your procedure, you will be provided with a skincare pack that includes everything you’ll need to aid your recovery over the initial ten-day period.
This, fundamentally, will be the most important time period in your recovery. Since your face will be inflamed and irritated, the more you can do to stick to our advice and specific product recommendations, the quicker your skin will heal and the sooner you’ll be able to use your own products again.
The skincare routine you’ll need to follow during this time will be as follows:
- In the morning, wash your face using a Dermol face wash and allow to air dry. Then apply CU3 barrier cream to your face to prevent your skin from drying out while it is healing, before taking any antiviral/antibiotic tablets prescribed to you.
- During the rest of the day, keep topping up the CU3 cream whenever your skin starts to feel dry and tight. This should be done a minimum of two times during the day.
- Repeat all of step 1 again before you go to bed.
Day 10 – Six Weeks Post-Treatment
As mentioned above, most patients’ skin will have healed sufficiently by the tenth day post-treatment. You will be advised of your healing progress during the regular aftercare contact.
However, your skin may still look fairly red and feel more sensitive than usual. To combat this, only very mild cleansers, moisturisers and make-up products should be used during this time.
Ideally, you should also try to avoid using any skincare products that contain acetyl alcohol as this could delay the healing process. Similarly, sunscreen with an SPF of at least 30 is vital during this period.
If you have any further questions or queries regarding CO2 laser skin resurfacing, our specialist team would be more than happy to answer them to put your mind at ease. Simply contact us at your earliest convenience or book an appointment to get started.